Thursday, 31 May 2012

Slow Progress

It seems like I haven't posted in an eternity, but really it's only been about a month. There has been some small progress with the garden. A combination of weather, mishaps, health and finances has slowed me down so I'm no where near where I want to be in my planting. But the last of our vegetable seeds has finally arrived, and I have a fit young helper coming out for the weekend to give us a hand with some of the heftier work.

First signs of milkweed in the lawn
I do worry that some of our crops are going to come in rather late, particularly the tomatoes. We'll have to deal with that the best we can, when the time comes. I'm glad we got several cultivars that can be grown in containers. It may be necessary to move them to a sheltered location around harvest time.

Wild carrot's delicate lacy leaves

A good bit of energy the last month has been put into cleaning up the mess we inherited, and to dealing with wild plants in the lawn. We've identified a number of wild edibles and medicinals. The neighbours must think I'm nuts, but I've been letting the lawn grow so I could harvest dandelion flowers. And I've been pulling the grass away from "weeds" like yellow dock and milkweed. I thinned my goldenrod, rather than pulling it all up. I'm also letting a humungous burdock grow around the back of the house!

I have a ton of interesting stuff to share with you all! I'll write up more in a little while; for now I ought to get myself out to the yard & get some work done.

My oldest out in the nettle patch


This content is copyrighted. Please feel free to share by sending others a link to this page, or contact the author about purchasing reprint rights.

No comments: