A road trip to Quebec City this week took me and my husband through the Drummondville area, the dairy region of Quebec famous for being the birthplace of poutine. Our friend, a truck driver by trade, had mapped out the route for us all, including a stop for supper on the way home. "This place has the best poutine," she said to me. "They have every kind you could want." When I looked at the name of the restaurant I realized it was one of the places that had come up when I wrote about poutine earlier this spring. I was definitely eager to try the offerings of the Fromagerie Lemaire.
A restaurant with history The designation "fromagerie" means the restaurant is not just a diner, but also a maker of cheese. The Lemaire family has been involved with the business for decades, since a coop of dairy farmers who hired Marcel Lemaire to make cheese for them in 1936. Lemaire later bought the cheese making facility from the coop, and in 1956 the "cheese bar" was opened.
Read more...
